Yoga is a great way to condition your body and get fit and healthy. But have you ever considered trying aerial yoga? Moving your practice a few feet off the ground and trusting an aerial sling can be intimidating, but the truth is that most aerial yoga beginners come to love the freedom of floating and the strength that they gain from the experience.
Interested in getting started? Here are seven tips for aerial yoga beginners.
- Watch what you’re wearing. Make sure that you’re wearing full length leggings. You may also find that you prefer a tee shirt instead of a tank top as the silk of the harness can be rough on your skin.
- Don’t wear any jewelry. Your pieces can snag onto the fabric and can cause some uncomfortable situations.
- Don’t worry about the silk being able to support you. The material, when properly installed, can hold up to 2,000 pounds. It can take some time when you’re a beginner to trust the silk, but with some training, and some time, you’ll discover that you can move your body in ways that you never believed possible.
- There are too many benefits of yoga to list here, but there are also even more benefits you’ll find with aerial positions, including having reduced back pain and improving your flexibility. Aerial yoga helps your body to move in new ways which actually creates neural connections in your brain. These new neural connections help your mind to stay fit and active.
- It’s not a good idea to try aerial yoga if you have recently had any sort of surgery or if you have a great deal of motion sickness. You also should not partake after the first trimester of a pregnancy.
- Make sure you use resin on your hands. Resin will help you to get the best grip on the silks.
- Make sure you don’t drink or eat right before you go into the air. Save your delicious glass of Natura wine for after you’ve been flying!
Who wants to try aerial yoga?!? We’re in!