Call us crazy, but we actually love camping in the winter. Besides the fact that there’s nothing better than sitting in front of a blazing fire with a glass of sustainable wine in hand, here are some reasons you should try it this season.
1. You can avoid the crowds and enjoy absolute silence. Winter isn’t exactly camping season, so the crowds will be very light, if any. And by doing a little research, you can almost ensure that you won’t encounter other people on your trip.
To experience utter silence is quite rare, and it may even seem a bit eerie at first, but you will soon discover that it’s extremely peaceful. If you’re looking to unwind after the craziness of the holidays, a little camping trip should not disappoint.
2. You don’t need a cooler. Any camper knows that bringing a cooler and ice along in the summer is not very comfortable. In winter, you have a natural built-in cooler for your favorite bottle of sustainable wine, wherever you go- perfect for chilling wine after a long day!
3. No bugs! Biting flies and mosquitoes can quickly turn a fun day outdoors into an annoying, unpleasant experience. But in the winter, you don’t have to worry about it, nor do you have to stink like bug spray.
4. You will likely see more wildlife, as animals are easier to track in the snow and spot through bare trees. Winter trees also offer benefits at night, when you can look up and enjoy the unobstructed views of the starlit sky.
5. It’s easier to explore more land. When lakes, rivers and ponds freeze up, you can walk right across, and skip having to hike up and around. Before attempting to cross any frozen waterway, be sure to check with the local ranger to ensure that the water is safe to walk on.
Is camping in the winter with a bottle of natural wine one of the ways you “live it?” Capture how you LIVE IT in a video (15 seconds or less) and enter it in our video contest for a chance to win a GoPro. Click here for more information, and to enter.