Each year, on April 22, we come together to celebrate Earth Day. It’s a global holiday, where anyone and everyone who cares about the planet can celebrate nature and show support for environmental protection.
At Natura wines, we don’t just limit Earth Day to just one day. Our organically grown wine and sustainable practices demonstrate our commitment to the planet. If you’re looking for a way to show you care about being green, try one – or more! – of these tips.
- Walk, bike, or carpool. Do your part by finding more environmentally friendly ways to travel to school, work, home, and beyond.
- Make a compost bin. Instead of tossing those food scraps in the trash, put them to good use. It’ll reduce your carbon footprint, and you’ll be left with nutrient-rich material perfect for your garden!
- Plant a garden. Growing your own fruits, vegetables, and herbs is a fantastic way to honor the Earth. Not only will your produce taste better and save you money, you’ll help the planet by reducing your reliance on others to harvest and transport your food.
- Go paperless and cut junk mail. Utility bills, bank statements, and junk mail waste an alarming amount of paper. Opt out of receiving junk mail and request e-bills and statements when possible.
- Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs. LED and CFL light bulbs are both more energy-efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Recycle your old electronics. About 40 million tons of e-waste is generated worldwide each year. Instead of contributing to your local landfill, recycle or donate your old electronics at a local collection spot.
- Harvest rainwater. Harvesting rainwater with a catchment system has a number of positive environmental impacts, including water conservation, recharging groundwater, reducing your carbon footprint, and maintaining healthy soils.
- Expand your recycling plan. Check with your local recycling center to see what items are accepted and how you can expand your own recycling efforts.
- Get a reusable water bottle. Disposable plastic water bottles are terrible for the environment. Reusable bottles are inexpensive, convenient, and cost-effective.
- Plant a tree. One large tree can create enough oxygen for four people for one day? Amazing! Trees also help reduce runoff, absorb greenhouse gases, and provide shade and windbreaks.
- Join an environmental group. Want to do more? Join a local group where you can discuss more ways to be green and take action.
- Go outside. It’s Earth Day. Get out there. ‘Nuff said.
- Use green cleaning products. Many of the cleaning products we use on a daily basis are contain chemicals that are harmful to the environment. Swap these for plant-based cleansers that are just as effective, like vinegar and baking soda.
- Have an electronic-free day. Here’s a challenge: go 100% electronic free for a day. Rely on nature and your own imagination to entertain you.
- Drink organically grown wine. Choosing Natura wines over non-organic labels is a more sustainable choice. (And don’t forget to recycle the bottle!)